This particular thread is a perfect illustration of why I stopped reading both. In one or the other, you could sum up every single thread thusly:
- Random guy posts unsupported statement, presenting it as news accompanied by dubious piece of media and trolling comment, then leaves never to be heard again on the thread.
- Dozens of people pick up the thing and take it at complete face value, post immediate emotional replies without ever questioning the information itself.
- A few hundred more share pathetically uninformed, yet strongly assertive, insights on a topic they had obviously never heard of until that day.
- Three people post interesting, thoughtful, carefully researched post explaining why the whole thread makes absolutely no sense and why most of the previous posters ought to read the news once in their life.
- Sensible posters get royally ignored, quickly give up in face of the ridiculously steep road that needs to be walked back to sanity.
- More ignorant posts pour in.
- Thread invariably degenerates into canonical Holy War for the remaining 3000 comments (most of which are only monosyllabic rebuttal to the previous ones, by then).
Mmmn, sounds familiar?
And yea, I know I am quite late on that train of world news, but it’s not like they’ve stopped killing each other in the meantime…